Monday, February 13, 2006

What's in a Name

On Saturday our church had a "40 Days of Community"kick-off program. About 20 children aged 4 thru 14 were together in one classroom. Four of these are diagnosed in the autistic spectrum. As the leader kept repeating instructions, with little success and much frustration, I remembered something I gleaned from my last special needs seminar. If you do not use the child's name, He does not think you are talking to him.He is not being bad, or disrespectful. He is just not getting it that you are talking to him.

I am reminded that the bible talks several times about our own names. One I like to muse on, is that I will have a new name, given to me by my Creator, Savior. Will I respond better to him when he calls me by that name? Will it be what he treasures most about me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home