Sunday, September 24, 2006

Waiting

I went to a visitation for the mother of a family friend this week. It was a two hour wait in line. I was hoping to spend a half hour, to encourage and show a friend support.

As I stood alone for about two hours, my mind started comparing the behavior of these people, with the fifth graders at school. No-one was yelling, "He cut," or "I was here first." No one was whining about how long it was taking, how hungry they were, or why did I have to be here anyway. Sometimes when I get tired, I start having very strange mental images.

Will my kids at school ever be adults? Will they ever be able to put the needs of others above their own needs? I do not think all of them will make it to that point, but it is why I chose the job that I did. There are so many things they need to learn if they are ever going to be functioning adults, and it is not all math, reading, and science.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home