Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I'll love you forever

After wearing me out physically, I talked my Grandsons into bringing me books to read to them. Kevin brought me what he said was his favorite. It is "I'll love you forever", by Robert Munsch and Shiela McGraw. A mother rocks her newborn, and as she rocks, she sings "I'll love you forever, I'll like you always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

She does this every night. As the child grows older, she sneaks into his room, and if he is really asleep, she picks him up and rocks him, and sings this song. This continues as the child grows up, becomes a teenager and moves out of the house. The images are rediculous as it progresses. When the mother takes a bus to the son's house, and if he is really asleep, she sneaks in through his window, and picks him up and rocks him and rocks him, and sings "I'll love you forever, I'll like you always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." I have never been able to read past this point, because I am sobbing uncontrollably. At this point Kevin looks at me and wonders, what is up with grandma? The book continues to the point that mom calls her son and asks him to come to her, for she is old and sick. The son goes to the mother, and picks her up, and rocks her and rocks her. When he goes home that night, he sneaks into his son's room, picks him up and rocks him and rocks him and sings "I'll love you forever, I'll like you always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." The circle of life goes on. The bonds of love may grow transparent, but never weaken, never break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home